Real questions from the community
As excitement builds for The Canyons, here are some answers to some of the questions we’re hearing.
Click the + next to each question to see the answer.
Are The Canyons homes for sale or for rent?
All 70 of our apartments are available for rent.
If The Canyons is designed for aging-in-place, why isn't it restricted to people 55 and up?
Research from around the world shows that intergenerational living is an important contributor to thriving at any age. While The Canyons offers amenities that are designed to work well for older residents -- or those with limited mobility -- The Canyons is open to anyone. This way, everyone enjoys the health and social benefits from getting to know people of different generations and abilities.
I use a wheelchair. Will the apartments work for me?
The whole Canyons building is ADA compliant and incorporates Universal Design principles throughout.
Does The Canyons offer assisted-living services such as medication management, bathing, and dressing?
No, The Canyons is not a care facility. It is a good option for those that are living independently and want an environment that continues to support that lifestyle for as long as possible. As such, Canyons residents should be comfortable with their Activities of Daily Living (ADL) as well as Instrumental Activities of Daily Living (IADL), which are the tasks that people need to manage in order to live at home and be fully independent.
Why is the rent higher than other apartments on the market?
The Canyons is designed to meet the needs of aging urban dwellers. As such The Canyons is built to be entirely barrier-free with beautiful, modern interiors in which to call home. Our onsite paramedic is available 24/7 and has the expertise to handle any urgent situations that may arise. The Canyons also offers in-apartment hands free communication systems, concierge services, round-the-clock security, community-building activities, a Wellness Room with a variety of health offerings, access to delivered hot meals, a fitness room, and other benefits to support an independent lifestyle.
Will there be parking available?
Yes. The Canyons offers secure, underground parking for its residents. There are 31 parking spots for a 70 unit building. 4 of these are designated handicap parking, and are available for those with handicap parking permits. In addition there are 3 motorcycle spots, and 1 loading zone (10' clearance which is great for move-in).
All parking spaces are reserved on a first come, first serve basis. Parking is $135 a month. There is ample secure bicycle parking as well, at no cost.
Why do you charge pet rent instead of a pet deposit?
The Canyons is happy to welcome pets. We love them, and know many of you do too!
The choice to charge pet rent instead of a pet deposit has pros and cons. Pets can be hard on individual apartments, but also common spaces. In order to budget for repair of damaged units, maintenance of common space carpets and floors, the elevator, the pet washing station, as well as repairs and maintenance of surrounding landscaping. All of these costs must be built in to maintaining a large—and brand new—building such as The Canyons. The best way to budget for those expenses is through pet rent. In the case of damage to a specific unit, a deposit is usually not adequate to cover the repair, and does not contribute to the maintenance of the public spaces.
Instead of charging a fee for each pet every month, The Canyons charges a flat fee regardless of number of pets. One gentleman said he was having a hard time finding a place that would take his 3 cats, for example. No problem at The Canyons!
Are utilities included in the rent?
Water, sewer, garbage and internet (data) are all included in the rent. Each apartment is metered separately for electricity (including heating and cooling) and billed directly to you so you only pay for what you use. Cable is the tenant's responsibility as each resident will have their own preferences for that.
Can you tell me about the laundry facilities?
Laundry facilities are provided in a modern and private (residents only) space on the ground floor, next to the adjacent coffee shop. It is designed to be light-filled with living room style furniture so that residents can comfortably socialize. We will also offer private laundry services through the concierge.
What other aging-in-place and limited mobility features have been incorporated into the design?
The Canyons is fully ADA compliant, and includes additional features that are meant to support residents. These include:
- Non-slip shower floor: The shower floor is a special slip resistant shower pan (as opposed to tile, etc.)
- Built-in shower seat: A high quality one has been chosen, which can be installed for anyone that requests it , free of charge.
- Showers: There are no shower doors. There are curtain rods shaped specifically for this shower opening to minimize obstacles in the shower.
- Grab bars: Bathrooms are already constructed with grab bar backing in all bathrooms at both toilets and showers. We will install grab bars free of charge upon request.
- Handheld shower heads: These are included in all bathrooms.
- Larger elevators: Both elevators are the largest sized cabs available for residential use. They can accommodate not only multiple wheelchairs, but also furniture at move in (9' ceilings) and stretchers if needed.
- Washers and Dryers: All of the machines in the laundry room are raised off of the floor onto a platform, and are front loading.
- A small bench outside each apartment door: There is a shared bench outside of each pair of apartment doors (1 long bench per 2 units) which can be customized by the tenants.
- A space where live music/dancing, seated/standing exercise classes can occur: There is a fitness and community room that can be used for a wide variety of purposes.
Submit any other questions you have using the form below.